Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Surviving Sagada Part 2

kiltepan
Woah! It's been almost 3 months since I last updated. Sorry for that. I've been busy with new work, and settling in to the new city... But enough of that! So now... back to Sagada!

- - -

We took the first day off to recuperate after our misfortune. Keith joined Rodel and me for our own "city" tour to take some photos... We tried looking for those old Igorot huts and got to see some rice terraces upclose instead! 

For dinner, we decided to try out Salt & Pepper Diner. They different "flavors" of grilled chicken cooked their way. I had this:

salt&pepperchicken

It was also my first time to try out mountain tea. I'm not a tea lover but I loved it! I tweeted this picture and @SurvivingSagada suggested that next time I should try it with milk!

mountaintea


- - -

We woke up early morning to catch the sunrise at Kiltepan Peak. It was a bit cloudy that morning that our guide William kept apologizing. We said, hey this was what we've been trying to see at Mt. Pulag! The view was absolutely breathtaking! Sorry, pictures could not give justice to this amazing view.



me-kiltepan
I swear I almost fell trying to get my selfie shots! Good thing was I was to hold tightly on some grass!

After Kiltepan, we had our breakfast at Yoghurt House.

groundflooryoghurt
Look at the ground floor ceiling!

mybrekkie
I had tapsilog

yoghurtmountain
My morning mountain tea!

By the way, here's their menu
yoghurtbrekkie

yoghurtdrinks

yoghurthousemenu

I little while after brekkie, we took our 3-stop tour with Kuya William. We're supposed to see the Bokong falls we we didn't want to get wet walking on the stream so after Matangkid Cave we walked the opposite way to Echo Valley then the cemetery.

stones
some people stacked up some stones in Matangkid Cave

walkingonthestream
I thought we were done hiking/trekking in Pulag but I was wrong

rockclimbing
Finally reached Echo Valley... See if you could spot the guy rock climbing here!

hairyplant
I haven't seen this hairy plant since I was small. Kakapanindig balahibo pa rin!

hangingcoffins
Some hanging coffins in Echo Valley... really creepy upclose!

cemetery
Much creepier when we reached this cemetery on a hill at the end of that tour!

After our lunch, we checked out Lake Danum. I'm half Ilocano so I know danum is their word for water. Sagadans are Cancana-ey and their dialect is somehow similar to Ilocano so it must mean the same thing.

lakedanum
It was drizzling when we reached Lake Danum.

lakedanum2
It's actually a twin lake. Sorry can't take a full view on my cam.

After the tour, we decided to window shop for some pasalubong stuff. We got intrigued by the Igorot huts we saw on some postcards to we decided to look for them... but we failed. Well, not totally! Got to see some rice terraces upclose!


Then we discovered Lemon Pie House!

lemonpiehousemenu
menu
lemonpie
Yummy lemon pie! Some may find this a bit sour but not for me!

lemontea
Got to try their lemon tea as well!

The place is so cozy!
lemonpie-interior 

lemonpie-interior2

Just a little after our snacks from Lemon Pie House, it's dinnertime again at the Yoghurt House!

bechamel
I had my usual pasta... white sauce (pasta ala bechamel with smoked ham).

The third day was our day to go home... But we had to stop by Sumaguing Cave! Ofcourse, Sagada trip isn't complete without spelunking! We woke up at 4am but started walking to the cave at 5am. It was still dark when we reached the cave.

Kuya William said the cave has 3 stages. The first stage was the most difficult part for me! It was buwis-buhay, butt-engaging crawl to the inner part of the cave. The limestones were very slippery! Plus we had to deal with bat shits (guano)!

We only got up to the 2nd stage of the cave and had some time to take some pictures!

me-sumaguing

sumaguingrappel
Effort!

The 3rd stage of the cave has water waist deep. We decided to take that part off.

So after the cave, we had a side trip to Lumiang Cave. It's a mass burial site but still with hanging coffins. Kuya said that previously, there were much more coffins here but due to some earthquakes and natural causes, some of them fell. He even said that if we tried Cave Connections (major spelunking where aside from Sumaguing, tourists will pass thru other caves as well) we'll see some coffins and even skeletons along the way.

coffins
I swear, too eerie to be here!

There are actual skeletons in these coffins. There was one which was a bit open and Rodel took a picture. I couldn't even convince myself to look at the photo!

hangingcoffins2
Here's where they hang coffins for women who die of childbirth. Just across the road going to Lumiang.

findcoffins
More hanging coffins on our way to the inn.

Last stop before going home... breakfast at Lemon Pie House!

lemonpieoutside


Wish we had more time is Sagada. I just hope I could come back and try some other stuff this sanctuary has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment