Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Lent 2013

I was raised as a Protestant. Growing up, I never had to experience not eating meat during lent except for fish. No fasting... In contrast to the Catholics, our observance of lent is more of a celebration... thanking what the Lord has done to save us from our sins.

My father's side was Catholic. Whenever we were with our nanay and mamay, they would always say to keep our tones down. Well, it was almost a sin to be happy during lent.

I remember not long time ago, we went to a resort on a Black Saturday. We were the only family checked in . The pool was our own to enjoy. Other people only started checking after the salubong on Easter.

When I came to work this afternoon (well, yesterday), Maundy Thursday, I was surprised that the food served were pork adobo and chicken ala king. There's red meat! And dinner, it was grilled chicken and beefsteak.

I am fond of tradition. I am no Catholic but hey, it's part of my culture growing up in this country. It just that what's happening now feels weird and wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment